Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Have Your Cake and Eat It...What!?!

I've always had trouble with this cliche. You know the one, "Have your cake and eat it to." usually you hear parents telling it to their children in some high and mighty tone, the kind of tone that says, "I know more than you and this cliche expresses that." But that's beside the point, what really frosts me is the saying itself. Let's think about it for a moment. To have ones cake and to also eat it indicates that some entity gets something they desire, but it is not quite enough so they ask for or seek something to supplement or augment what they already have. Okay, now this quip relies on a foundational object: cake. The problem I have with this is what is any other sentient being supposed to do with cake. Cake is not made to build bridges or to solve disputes amongst warring nations. Cake is a food object, which is intended to be eaten. That is to say the only reason we have cake is so we can eat it. This statement is improperly used on a daily basis, I charge whoever reads this to stop their fellow man and ask them to think before uttering such a unfounded line.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicely said. The next time that I hear someone say that cliche to me, I will definitely think about it.
Odd Point->While I was ready the post had a vision of a large cake with fluffy pink frosting. I really wanted to have it and eat it as well. :)

Puuda Maggui said...

Yea, sometimes it's just nice to have someone there for you and say "BLHRRRRRR!"

Happy Birthday! Hope you like your cake!